A joint assessment by the government of Ukraine, the European Commission, and the World Bank found that Russia caused over $97 billion in physical damage in Ukraine through the end of June 2022. The cost of reconstruction and recovery across Ukraine’s social, productive, and infrastructure sectors, they found, would be $349 billion—more than 1.5 times the country’s 2021 GDP. We need to make sure every hryvnia, dollar, euro, and pound is well spent, and that donor support is well coordinated and matched to the most pressing needs. Now Ukraine has the opportunity to revamp the process flow of the reconstruction to be fast, efficient, and open. During this panel, discussants focused on the strategic importance of transparency and accountability in post-war reconstruction and discussed how Ukraine’s Digital Reconstruction Ecosystem for Accountable Management (DREAM) tool can improve trust between Ukraine and international donors.
- Moderator: Daniel Bruce, CEO, Transparency International, UK
- Viktor Nestulia, Head, Ukraine Support, OCP & Chair, RISE Ukraine Coalition
- Milica Delevic, Director, Competitiveness, Governance and Political Affairs, EBRD
- Pierre Heilbronn, former Vice President, EBRD & Member of President Macron’s special envoy for aid and reconstruction support for Ukraine
- Gustavo Bosio, Director, EMEA Region, Government Affairs, FMC